Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Day 1


If you’ve ever heard a Hadada ibis calling you’ll know why you don’t need an alarm clock if one roosts in a tree in your backyard. It wasn’t the best day to start birding because US election results were distracting me, but armed with a cup of coffee I quickly listed the birds in the backyard before catching a ride to a fruiting fig tree with my girlfriend as she headed off to teach.

1
Yellow-vented bulbul
2
Red & Yellow barbet
3
Baglafecht weaver
4
Hadada ibis
5
Grey headed kingfisher
6
Red-eyed dove
7
Jackson's golden-backed weaver
8
Speckled mousebird
9
Arrow-marked babbler
10
Pied crow
11
Amethyst sunbird

I forgot how fun birding alone is and standing under the fig tree I quickly listed the following species.

12
White fronted beeater
13
Green pigeon
14
Black headed oriole
15
Brown-breasted barbet
16
African citril
17
Silvery-cheeked hornbill
18
Red-winged starling
19
African golden oriole
20
White-crested helmet-shrike

Slowly I began the walk back to the house… its so fun when you have the time to stop and be distracted.

21
Lilac breasted roller
22
White headed barbet
23
Auger buzzard
24
White browed coucal
25
Rattling cisticola
26
Crimson rumped waxbill
27
Laughing dove
28
Tawny flanked prinia
29
Variable sunbird
30
Yellow rumped seedeater
31
Abyssinian white-eye
32
Lanner falcon
33
Grey backed cameroptera
34
Tropical boubou
35
Emerald spotted wood dove
36
Barn swallow
37
Red billed firefinch
38
Common drongo
39
Brown crowned tchagra
40
Grey hornbill
41
Blue naped mousebird

With my list struggling a little because of work commitments and a dreaded drive into town I decided to head up to my dad’s house for lunch. I knew I’d get the resident owls and some higher altitude species.  Because of the recent rains the birds weren’t visiting the birdbath so I missed some really common birds… but, hey, I have a whole year to get this list up!

42
Spotted eagle owl
43
Grey headed sparrow
44
Nyanza swift
45
Scarlet chested sunbird
46
Dusky turtle dove
47
Common fiscal
48
Spotted morning thrush
49
Red chested cuckoo

A couple new species in the afternoon.

50
Pied wagtail
51
Crowned plover
52
Black headed heron
53
Superb starling
54
Helmeted guinea fowl

No comments:

Post a Comment